Guadalupe County Fair & Rodeo
2nd Weekend October
2nd Annual “Food Challenge” Contest • Youth
Sunday, Oct. 9 • Coliseum
- Deadline for entries is Friday, Sept. 30 (limited to first 15 entries)
- Day of contest 11 a.m. - Check in 11:45 a.m. - Contest begins 1 p.m. - interviews
Awards follow the judging around 2 p.m.
- Entry Fee: $20 per team
Guidelines: An entry includes a team of up to five youth in grades 3-12. Individuals/teams may come from schools, churches, 4-H, etc.
There will be four food categories in each age division at the contest:
- Main Dish
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Bread and Cereal
- Nutritious Snacks
Teams will be randomly assigned to a category, but assignments will not be announced until orientation the morning of the contest.
Teams must provide their own supply box of equipment and other items listed on the supply list in the Food Challenge Manual which can be found on the Guadalupe County 4-H Website at http://guadalupe.agrilife.org/4-h/
Teams may NOT SHARE supply boxes. Teams will be provided the following items at the contest:
- Food ingredients
- The recipe ingredient list with nutrition information, the food category and a clue about their recipe
- Copy of the Food Challenge Worksheet
- Notebook with the printed resources (reference food challenge manual)
During the 40 minute cooking time, team members will be required to prepare the dish, determine its
nutritional value, service size, etc. and prepare a five minute presentation for the team members to present
to the judge!
For more information, check out the Guadalupe County 4-H Website at http://guadalupe.agrilife.org/4-h/